Monday, August 01, 2005

First Look at Internet Explorer 7 Beta 1


After a bit of messing around... I downloaded IE 7... there was a surprise to start with it was only about 10 megs for a change... though I haven't worried about file sizes for a long long time.



Once downloaded, I created a System Restore point as I have in past, installed Alpha / Beta software and managed to completely shaft my systems... :) so I wasn't in a mood to reinstall all the shit all over again...

Installation of IE 7 beta was pretty fast... It first needed a genuine windows authentication check ... Oh well it's PC at work.. too bad if it's not licensed... here we go... no nasty surprises... it all went smoothly and IE got to backing up the files and installing itself.... after about 2 minutes I was prompted to finish and reboot the box...
It took a minute to set up personalised shortcuts etc and it was show time...

The main window is slightly modified... I am still getting used to the Menu options being a part of each tab rather than being at the top most level.
There's a search tab on the top right... and it provides the user with a simple way to query the few search engines





There's been a big fuss about toolbars from Yahoo and Google etc not working. As you can see they are working just fine... Don't know what the fuss is all about... Though I have to admit, I pretty much update my software now and again.. it's possible that the people who have had problems probably had old versions...



To open a new tab you click the empty square right most tab. if you are browsing the web and would like to open the link in a tab its pretty hand... right click and just select Open in New Tab



Closing in slightly inconvenient... you have to right click the tab and click Close. Or you can click the X at the right hand side of the Tab Control.

Off late there's been a lot of phishing scams and browsers have been come under fire for not having anti phishing checks etc. IE beta incorporates a Anti Phishing Filter. M$ maintains a black list of sorts and has the option for user submission.





As far as stability is concerned I think it's been okay so far... Though on a colleagues computer its been crashing every now and again... Keep your fingers crossed.

IE 7 is also RSS aware as you might already know... If a page contains RSS the icon lights up (changes to orange) and you can have a look at the RSS feed.



I will update the post when I have more to comment on it. Have fun

No comments: